Peace Be With You

Welcome to my blog! My name is Rev. David Lindenberg. I am a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Rapid City, South Dakota. "O Taste and See That the Lord is Good" is from Psalm 34:8, and it describes several of my favorite things, which this blog will be about. Taste: I am a "foodie," and I love to cook, so from time to time there will be some of my favorite recipes, or cooking tips on here. SEE: I love art, drawing, and am currently taking some art instruction, and learning how to paint as well, so there will also be some things about art and painting in my blog. I also love history, which has nothing to do with the title, but it a real interest of mine. But most of all, I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and so most of my blogging will be about matters of faith, and some daily devotional writings. I hope that you enjoy "Tasting and Seeing That the Lord IS Good!" Happy reading!



Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Thoughts on the Ascension of Christ into heaven: Part One

This week I thought that I would take some time to put down a few thoughts about Jesus' ascension into heaven.  Tomorrow night we are having an Ascension Eve worship service, so I have been thinking about this subject quite a bit recently.
I would like to start off with some thoughts about Matthew's recording of the Great Commission in chapter 28.
Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go.  When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted.  Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me.  Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them everything I have commanded you.  And surely I will be with you always to the very end of the age."
Ok, so admittedly there is not so much in this text that specifically speaks about Christ's ascension.  However, I don't think we can leave out this important text when talking about how Jesus left this world to return to the Father.  The reason being the commands that He gives to the disciples to "Go" and also to "make disciples."  Another reason is the promise that Jesus leaves them with: "I will be with you always." Those commands are also for us, as is the promise that Jesus made.  So Jesus is not leaving us alone to do this work in and of ourselves, He is with us as He promised.  What comfort this should give to us all, that our Lord Jesus is WITH us always!
Tomorrow I will write some more thoughts on ascension, according to Acts chapter one.
Thanks for reading!  Good night, and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment