Peace Be With You

Welcome to my blog! My name is Rev. David Lindenberg. I am a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Rapid City, South Dakota. "O Taste and See That the Lord is Good" is from Psalm 34:8, and it describes several of my favorite things, which this blog will be about. Taste: I am a "foodie," and I love to cook, so from time to time there will be some of my favorite recipes, or cooking tips on here. SEE: I love art, drawing, and am currently taking some art instruction, and learning how to paint as well, so there will also be some things about art and painting in my blog. I also love history, which has nothing to do with the title, but it a real interest of mine. But most of all, I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and so most of my blogging will be about matters of faith, and some daily devotional writings. I hope that you enjoy "Tasting and Seeing That the Lord IS Good!" Happy reading!



Thursday, May 19, 2011

The importance of prayer: Part 4

     My apologies for those who have been following this blog for no post yesterday.  I had a wonderful opportunity to go with my son's 5th grade class on their camping trip up in the hills near Custer, SD.  It was cold, and wet at times, but we made the best of it, had fun, praised God, and came back home safe and sound.  I even lost 5 pounds in the process.
     I wanted to continue writing about the importance of prayer, where I left off last time on praying without ceasing.  St. Paul writes:
Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. Col. 4:2

I had a wonderful opportunity yesterday to do this while we were on our 3 mile hike in the Black Hills.  At our stopping point there was a large rock formation and the rest of the group proceeded up, while I stayed behind and waited (what seemed like a LONG time) for them to return.  It can be a little unsettling being in the middle of a vast forest and hills when you are alone.  So I prayed, I talked to God... A LOT.  When I could hear the voices of the group beyond the rock, echoing in the valley between us, I was thankful.  When I started seeing them head back down the hill where the rock formation was, I was thankful to God again.  I was thankful that nobody got injured on the hike.  And of course, I was very thankful when we all arrived back at camp and could rest our tired selves.  Oh yeah, I was thankful for the rest too!  The truth be told, we could do as Paul writes in I Thessalonians 5:1     Rejoice always, [17] pray without ceasing....I Thes. 5:16-17 ...and we could do it quite easily, because we are never without things to be thankful for or rejoice about.  And there is nothing at all that we can't come to God with in prayer or just to talk with Him.  That is mostly what I was doing on the "mountain" yesterday while I was on the hike, and especially during the time while I was alone.  And truthfully, I never really was alone.  God was there the whole time.
Thanks for reading, and God bless you!
   
    

No comments:

Post a Comment