Peace Be With You

Welcome to my blog! My name is Rev. David Lindenberg. I am a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Rapid City, South Dakota. "O Taste and See That the Lord is Good" is from Psalm 34:8, and it describes several of my favorite things, which this blog will be about. Taste: I am a "foodie," and I love to cook, so from time to time there will be some of my favorite recipes, or cooking tips on here. SEE: I love art, drawing, and am currently taking some art instruction, and learning how to paint as well, so there will also be some things about art and painting in my blog. I also love history, which has nothing to do with the title, but it a real interest of mine. But most of all, I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and so most of my blogging will be about matters of faith, and some daily devotional writings. I hope that you enjoy "Tasting and Seeing That the Lord IS Good!" Happy reading!



Tuesday, May 10, 2011

All About Perspective

Perspective- 1. to look through or see clearly.
                      2. the technique or process of representing on a plane or curved surface the spatial relation of objects as they might appear to the eye.  Representation in a drawing or painting of parallel lines as converging in order to give the illusion of depth and distance.
                      3. the interrelation in which a subject or its parts are mentally viewed.  The capacity to view things in their true relations or relative importance.
                      4.  aiding the vision.

One of the very first things that my art instructor told me about was perspective.  He simply placed an envelope full of pictures on my desk with a little note which encouraged me to look at each picture and think about perspective-which in this case would be definition number 2 above.  It was very helpful with my art, and now I can't look at a scene, drawing, or painting the same way that I used to.
Perspective, no matter which of the definitions you are looking at above has to do with our sight.  How we see things: in the world, all around us, in our own lives, and in the lives of others.
Jesus was talking about perspective when he confronted disciples about their own sinfulness in part of the sermon on the mount.  Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? [4] Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye? [5] You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. Matthew 7:3-5
This is a difficult task to be sure, because we can lose perspective about our own faults(sins) and only perceive what others are doing, thus giving ourselves the illusion that we are better than others.  Jesus puts an envelope full of pictures in front of us and says "study your perspective."  Step back from the picture for a second and take a different look, a look in the mirror in this case.  Then you will see that  you have sinned and have faults as well.
May we take a few moments when we are quick to judge somebody, to gather some perspective and see ourselves for who and what we are-redeemed and forgiven children of God, just like the person we are about to pass judgment on.
Thanks for reading!   

No comments:

Post a Comment