Peace Be With You

Welcome to my blog! My name is Rev. David Lindenberg. I am a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Rapid City, South Dakota. "O Taste and See That the Lord is Good" is from Psalm 34:8, and it describes several of my favorite things, which this blog will be about. Taste: I am a "foodie," and I love to cook, so from time to time there will be some of my favorite recipes, or cooking tips on here. SEE: I love art, drawing, and am currently taking some art instruction, and learning how to paint as well, so there will also be some things about art and painting in my blog. I also love history, which has nothing to do with the title, but it a real interest of mine. But most of all, I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and so most of my blogging will be about matters of faith, and some daily devotional writings. I hope that you enjoy "Tasting and Seeing That the Lord IS Good!" Happy reading!



Saturday, May 14, 2011

THE IMPORATNCE OF PRAYER: PART ONE

    And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. Acts 2:42
     It would seem that PRAYER was a very important part of the lives of people in the apostolic Church.  I wonder how important is it to us today?  For the next several posts I will be exploring this question through the scriptures, particularly the letters of St. Paul.
    It is an interesting question to say the least.  When asked, "Do you pray?" most Christians would answer that they do.  But to follow that question up with others, such as: "How do you pray?" or "For WHAT do you pray?" I think you would get a plethora of answers.  No matter, even the disciples asked Jesus to TEACH them to pray.  And Jesus gives to them and to us a most magnificent prayer, the prayer above all prayers, His own Words.  Perhaps that is for another posting.
     What strikes me about the Church in Acts here in chapter 2 is that the people DEVOTED themselves to those things, prayer being one of them.  What things do we today devote ourselves to?  Are we devoted to talking on the cell phone?  What about being devoted to facebooking?  Or how about being devoted to texting, emailing, chatting and the like? 
     Did you notice what is the common denominator for all the things I listed?  They are all forms of communication that we use today. Prayer is a form of communication.  It is THE form of communicaiton which God gives to us to communicate with-you guessed it-HIM.
     Perhaps we should all give thought to how much time we spend communicating in these other ways (myself included), and spend some good quality time in communication with God-through prayer.
     More on this on Monday.
     Thanks for reading!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment