Peace Be With You

Welcome to my blog! My name is Rev. David Lindenberg. I am a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Rapid City, South Dakota. "O Taste and See That the Lord is Good" is from Psalm 34:8, and it describes several of my favorite things, which this blog will be about. Taste: I am a "foodie," and I love to cook, so from time to time there will be some of my favorite recipes, or cooking tips on here. SEE: I love art, drawing, and am currently taking some art instruction, and learning how to paint as well, so there will also be some things about art and painting in my blog. I also love history, which has nothing to do with the title, but it a real interest of mine. But most of all, I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and so most of my blogging will be about matters of faith, and some daily devotional writings. I hope that you enjoy "Tasting and Seeing That the Lord IS Good!" Happy reading!



Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Because I live: part 2

         Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6
          
     This is one of my favorite passages from one of my favorite books in the Bible.  It is one of many such statements in the Gospel of John that begins with the words [ego eimi] ,which is "I am."  In order to explain more thoroughly who Jesus is, the Gospel of John builds on the OT event of Moses asking God by what name the people should call Him.  And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I am has sent me to you.' " Exodus 3:14

     Much of John's Gospel is explaining who Jesus is to His disciples, to all the people, and to us.  I like chapter 14 though, because it gives us a glimpse into the fact that Jesus wants us to be with him forever.  And in explaining that they "know the way to where He was going", He gets questioned by Thomas, "Lord we don't know where you are going, how can we know the way?" Jesus answers with this well-known quote:  "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life." 
     What does it mean for us that Jesus is the LIFE?
     It means that without Him we are still dead in our sins.  It means that without Him there is no eternal life.  But on a positive note it means that because He lives, that is, because He was resurrected from the dead, and destroyed the power of dead, those who believe in Him also will have eternal life in and with Him.  How fitting that He who is the author of life (John 1:3; Acts 3:15), would call Himself THE LIFE, and He is.  Without Jesus there is no true life, no eternal life.  That is something wonderful for us to remember always, and to be thankful for as we live our lives in Him. 
     Next time I will write more on living our lives in Jesus.
     Thanks for reading and God bless!   
    

No comments:

Post a Comment