Peace Be With You

Welcome to my blog! My name is Rev. David Lindenberg. I am a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Rapid City, South Dakota. "O Taste and See That the Lord is Good" is from Psalm 34:8, and it describes several of my favorite things, which this blog will be about. Taste: I am a "foodie," and I love to cook, so from time to time there will be some of my favorite recipes, or cooking tips on here. SEE: I love art, drawing, and am currently taking some art instruction, and learning how to paint as well, so there will also be some things about art and painting in my blog. I also love history, which has nothing to do with the title, but it a real interest of mine. But most of all, I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and so most of my blogging will be about matters of faith, and some daily devotional writings. I hope that you enjoy "Tasting and Seeing That the Lord IS Good!" Happy reading!



Friday, May 13, 2011

God will provide: PART 1

Blog for May 11th, 2011  (not sure what happened to the original post, so I am reposting this!)

I’m sitting in the car shop waiting for my van to get work done.  It needs new tires.  One of those things that you hate to have to do, but if you don’t do it, eventually you could run into big troubles.  I think life is full of such things.  Things we don’t want to have to do, but are necessary for us to do.  Often times we worry about those things and cause ourselves more grief than we know how to deal with.  Worry is something that I think so many people struggle with on a daily basis, some more than others.  We worry about the economy; we worry about our children and how they will adapt to changes in their lives; we worry about paying bills;,we worry about illnesses; we worry whether we will have a job next week; we worry how we will get everything done that needs to get done, and oh so much more.  WORRY, WORRY WORRY.  I am starting to get a little anxious just thinking about it.
Jesus tells us in Matthew chapter 6:25-34
    "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? [26] Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? [27] And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? [28] And why are you anxious about clothing? Con sider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, [29] yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. [30] But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? [31] Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' [32] For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. [33] But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.  [34] "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
This is definitely a first article issue.  God promises, as Luther stated in his Small Cetechism, that God will provide all that we need to support this body and life.  It is also a first commandment issue in that we should fear, love and TRUST in God above all things.  It is that trust part that we Christians have the most difficulty with.  I will share more about this tomorrow.  Right now I have to pay for the tires!
Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Good blog. One of my favorite passages. I need to be reminded of this as I fill my tank, pay bills, and try to stretch what is left. I remind my kids daily how we are truly blessed but when "in the thick of things" I sometimes need reminding myself.

    ReplyDelete