Peace Be With You

Welcome to my blog! My name is Rev. David Lindenberg. I am a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Rapid City, South Dakota. "O Taste and See That the Lord is Good" is from Psalm 34:8, and it describes several of my favorite things, which this blog will be about. Taste: I am a "foodie," and I love to cook, so from time to time there will be some of my favorite recipes, or cooking tips on here. SEE: I love art, drawing, and am currently taking some art instruction, and learning how to paint as well, so there will also be some things about art and painting in my blog. I also love history, which has nothing to do with the title, but it a real interest of mine. But most of all, I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and so most of my blogging will be about matters of faith, and some daily devotional writings. I hope that you enjoy "Tasting and Seeing That the Lord IS Good!" Happy reading!



Monday, September 12, 2011

Roller Coaster of Emotions

     Ok I am going to try and not sound too cryptic in this posting, but I also do not want to be too specific.  Have you ever had one of those days that just yo-yo's you back and forth and plays with all your emotions?  Or perhaps it is more like a roller coaster ride of huge Ups and Downs,Twists and Turns.  Yesterday was such an emotional roller-coaster ride for me.
     Naturally on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 I think we were maybe all expecting that a little bit--I know I was.  But the day went from somber to good, to bad, to mediocre, to relaxing and funny, to bad again, then to worse, and finally to absolute speechlessness and confusion. 
     Yesterday, like for many congregations, was our Sunday School Rally Day (the first day of Sunday School after summer break).  It was also the day we went back to two worship services instead of just one for the summer.  There is always a huge buzz around our church on this day each year, with lots of excitement about things starting up again.  I like that buzzing.  But right before our first worship service I was greeted with terrible news.  One of our parishioners, who has been in Missouri battling Cancer, I was told was not coming back (his cancer was incurable and he was in end stages).  This was kind of a shock to me, because he had been doing better seemingly after his surgery.  So I had to make that announcement, and then talking about 9/11 with folks here was a difficult adjustment alongside the joy of worshiping the Lord and enjoying the fellowship of the body of Christ.
     We had a pot-luck luncheon for rally day, which was very poorly attended.  I am, however, thankful for those who were present and enjoyed fellowship time with them.  Perhaps we shouldn't schedule pot luck luncheons on the day when the NFL kicks off their Sunday games.
     The rest of the afternoon I was very happy, spending time relaxing with my family and enjoying some laughter.  It really is the best medicine!  Then I decided to call my mom, who I had not talked to in a while.  She wasn't home, but did call me back later.  It was nice talking to her, at least initially, until she told me all that was going on.  Here is where I won't go into details, only to say that the roller-coaster ride that was my day started up once again.  It went from bad, to worse, to downright awful.  I spent the rest of the night and some time this morning not knowing what to think about it all.
   And then, as I was going over the Scripture readings for next Sunday, the Old Testament reading reminded me:
Isaiah 55:6,8-9
   [6] "Seek the Lord while he may be found;
        call upon him while he is near;
        [8] For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
        neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
    [9] For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
        so are my ways higher than your ways
        and my thoughts than your thoughts.

        I encourage you to "seek the Lord" when you are having an emotional roller-coaster of a day, or any time at all!
     Thank you for reading and God bless!  Hopefully your day today is less stressful!

No comments:

Post a Comment