Peace Be With You

Welcome to my blog! My name is Rev. David Lindenberg. I am a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Rapid City, South Dakota. "O Taste and See That the Lord is Good" is from Psalm 34:8, and it describes several of my favorite things, which this blog will be about. Taste: I am a "foodie," and I love to cook, so from time to time there will be some of my favorite recipes, or cooking tips on here. SEE: I love art, drawing, and am currently taking some art instruction, and learning how to paint as well, so there will also be some things about art and painting in my blog. I also love history, which has nothing to do with the title, but it a real interest of mine. But most of all, I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and so most of my blogging will be about matters of faith, and some daily devotional writings. I hope that you enjoy "Tasting and Seeing That the Lord IS Good!" Happy reading!



Wednesday, August 24, 2011

More on choices: God is the do-er!

John 15:16
    You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.

   
     Some may be a bit confused by this verse, as there are many who think that it is WE who choose God, and not the other way around.  In Luther's Small Catechism, he brings a little bit of clarity to this in the explanation of the 3rd Article fo the Apostles' Creed...I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength, believe in Jesus Christ my Lord, or come to Him; but the Holy Spirit has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith...
By nature I am spiritually blind, dead, and an enemy of God, as the Scriptures teach; therefore, "I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him."
     It is as I often say in Bible Studies, "God is the do-er!"  It is He who brings us to faith in Christ through His most powerful Word.  Not only that, but it is also He who, by His grace, sustains that faith through regular feeding with Word and Sacrament.
     The opportunity is there, and then the choice becomes ours what to do with those things that God provides for our faith.  Do we live the new life in Christ, or remain dead in our sins?  Do we exercise our faith by coming to worship, getting fed with His spiritual food, or do we develop a habit of skipping church and convince ourselves that we do not need it anymore?  Do we talk to God in prayer daily (pray without ceasing), or do we ignore Him and avoid Him?  You see, we do have choices every single day when it comes to our faith; but when it comes to how we initially even have a relationship with God, it is all the work of God through Jesus Christ His only Son, who reconciled us to God through His death and resurrection.
     I hope that you recognize the work that God has done/is doing in your life, and also the choices that you have in responding to Him in faith!
     Thank you for reading and God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment