Peace Be With You

Welcome to my blog! My name is Rev. David Lindenberg. I am a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Rapid City, South Dakota. "O Taste and See That the Lord is Good" is from Psalm 34:8, and it describes several of my favorite things, which this blog will be about. Taste: I am a "foodie," and I love to cook, so from time to time there will be some of my favorite recipes, or cooking tips on here. SEE: I love art, drawing, and am currently taking some art instruction, and learning how to paint as well, so there will also be some things about art and painting in my blog. I also love history, which has nothing to do with the title, but it a real interest of mine. But most of all, I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and so most of my blogging will be about matters of faith, and some daily devotional writings. I hope that you enjoy "Tasting and Seeing That the Lord IS Good!" Happy reading!



Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Making Choices

    "Now therefore fear the Lord and serve him in sincerity and in faithfulness. Put away the gods that your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. [15] And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:14-15

     Life is full of choices.  Every day we have to choose, from very simple choices to be made--like what to wear (ok so that may not be so simple for some)--to what school are we going to send our child to.  When it comes to parenting, I find that this is an area that many kids, and especially adolescents, and young adults are struggling with.  How to make good choices.  I don't know for sure, but I think that this is one of those things that may begin with parenting.  I guess as a parent I am of the opinion that we as parents should be helping our kids to learn how to make proper and good choices, by giving them choices regularly, and allowing them to see how the choices they make effect their lives and other people's lives.
     In the text above, Joshua is giving some choices to the Israelites about who they will serve, and telling them to choose on this day whom it will be, YHWH (the Lord God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob), or the Egyptian gods, or the gods of the Amorites (the land where they were at that present time).  Interestingly enough, Joshua makes it well-known that he and his household would be serving the Lord-the one true God. 
     When it comes to this kind of a choice, there really isn't a choice other than serving the one true God, maker of heaven and earth.  But I see people making "choices" regarding "religion" sort of like this:  Well, I like this aspect of Buddhism, and I like this part of Islam, and oh the Hindu religion has some interesting things, Confucious has lots of cool things to say, as does Taoism, Judaism has some cool rituals and holidays and things, but I grew up Christian so I can't really give that up-but I don't like organized religion--so...I will take this and that from each and fashion my own.  It's my life and these are the  "choices" that I am going to make. 
     I kind of dis-affectionately call this "Smorgasbord Religion," because the desire is there to "be religious" but the person is all confused about who and whose they are, and how that should manifest itself in worshiping God.  I hear a whole lot about "We are all the same," and "Organized religion should just leave individuals alone to do what they want, it's not like there is just one way."
     Jesus said, "I am THE WAY, THE TRUTH, THE LIFE!  NO ONE comes to the Father, except through ME!" 
     So I think the one True God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) would have something to say about our "Choices" when it comes to who we worship.
Thank you for reading, and God bless!  Tomorrow I will have more on making choices.   


No comments:

Post a Comment