Peace Be With You

Welcome to my blog! My name is Rev. David Lindenberg. I am a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Rapid City, South Dakota. "O Taste and See That the Lord is Good" is from Psalm 34:8, and it describes several of my favorite things, which this blog will be about. Taste: I am a "foodie," and I love to cook, so from time to time there will be some of my favorite recipes, or cooking tips on here. SEE: I love art, drawing, and am currently taking some art instruction, and learning how to paint as well, so there will also be some things about art and painting in my blog. I also love history, which has nothing to do with the title, but it a real interest of mine. But most of all, I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and so most of my blogging will be about matters of faith, and some daily devotional writings. I hope that you enjoy "Tasting and Seeing That the Lord IS Good!" Happy reading!



Thursday, October 6, 2011

Parenting and Faith: Part 2

Once again, I apologize for my lack of posting.  Recently I have had multiple responsibilities at church that were above and beyond my usual work.  Thank you for your patience....AGAIN!

Deut. 6:4-7
    "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. [5] You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. [6] And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. [7] You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.

     The way God sees it, parents have a very important responsibility.  A very important "vocation" to use one of Luther's favorite ideas.  And as parents, we are to DILIGENTLY teach God's Words to our children.  Now you are not without HELP in doing this.  The church is ever present to assist parents in teaching your children about Jesus, our Savior.  But the primary responsibility lies with the parents.  For example, in our baptism liturgy, here is the wording that I fear most parents/sponsors do not understand or pay close attention to:  God enable you both to will and to do this faithful and loving work and with His grace fulfill what we are unable to do.  Admittedly, this statement is made to the sponsors, who are to serve the baptismal candidate in the Christian faith.  But again, the primary responsibility for feeding the faith of the child belongs with the parents.
     Look at the verses above from Deuteronomy 6.  Think about all the places and times that God desires for parents to be feeding the faith of their children:  "when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise." 
     Think about the ways and the times each day that you as parents teach your children about Jesus, and share with them God's Word, or pray with them.  Are they seeing how important it is in your life?  Do they seem to think that it is important?
     I encourage you to reflect on these important verses from Deuteronomy, and also to think about how great an importance God places on following through with His command.
     Something that might help you in thinking about this is to also read Matthew 28:19-20. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, [20] teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."
     Thank you for reading, and remember that God is with you always, and will help you to teach your children about Jesus and share God's Word with them!

   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment