Peace Be With You

Welcome to my blog! My name is Rev. David Lindenberg. I am a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Rapid City, South Dakota. "O Taste and See That the Lord is Good" is from Psalm 34:8, and it describes several of my favorite things, which this blog will be about. Taste: I am a "foodie," and I love to cook, so from time to time there will be some of my favorite recipes, or cooking tips on here. SEE: I love art, drawing, and am currently taking some art instruction, and learning how to paint as well, so there will also be some things about art and painting in my blog. I also love history, which has nothing to do with the title, but it a real interest of mine. But most of all, I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and so most of my blogging will be about matters of faith, and some daily devotional writings. I hope that you enjoy "Tasting and Seeing That the Lord IS Good!" Happy reading!



Saturday, October 29, 2011

Why I like the Saint Louis Cardinals...

Why I like the STL Cardinals


     I guess it goes back to being born in Saint Louis, and living in close proximity to "The STL" (my affectionate name for my hometown) for all of my childhood, and much of my adolescent and young adult life.  No matter where I roam, Missouri will always be my home.  (To my friends in South Dakota, don't fret, I love living in the Black Hills, and have no plans to leave any time soon).
     One of the benefits of being an Eastern Missouri boy is being part of the best fans in all of baseball--A STL Cardinal fan.  There is nothing like the sea of RED/WHITE you experience when you are watching a Cardinal baseball game.  Whether sitting in the seats at Old Busch Stadium, or the New Busch Stadium (something I have not done yet), or watching at home on the tv or cumputer(thanks brother Steve), it is a wonderful sight.  And the Cardinal fans are so knowledgable about baseball.  You hear commentators in the media talk about this often!  We are polite, with the occasional jerk who usually has been drinking too much being the exception.  While attending games, I have had fans of rival teams express this about Cardinal fans. 
     HISTORY--What a rich, long, and storied history the STL Cardinals have had.  Last night winning thier 11th World Series in club history!  Sure there have been ups and downs, joys and disappointments; but you will find that with any sports team in any sport.
     The Cardinals are exciting to watch.  Sure they nearly give me near heart-attacks more often than not, but I must admit, they keep me on the edge of my seat and wanting to watch.  Did you happen to see game six on Thursday night?  What a terrible 8 innings by both teams.  But the 9th-11th innings were nothing short of spectacular.  That is Cardinal Baseball! 
     The list of players we have had....Rogers Hornsby(1920's), The Gashouse Gang (1934), Dizzy Dean and Joe Medwick (1930's),  Stan "the man" Musial (1941-1963), Red Schoendienst(40's-60's),  Enos Slaughter (1940's), Bob Gibson (1960's), Lou Brock (60's-70's), Joe Torre (1970's and later in the 90's as manager), Ozzie Smith, Whitey Herzog(manager 80's), Darrel Porter, Bob Forsch, Willie McGee, Tommy Herr, Ken Oberkfell, Bruce Sutter, Keith Hernandez (all in the 80's), Mark McGwire(90's), Albert Pujols, Jim Edmonds, David Eckstein, Chris Carpenter, Yadier Molina, Darrel Kile,  Matt Holliday, and most recently--Lance Berkmann and the 2011 WS MVP David Freese [a hometown hero](2000's-2010's).  Of course, "TLR", "Don Tony" Tony LaRussa(1990's-2010's).  And last but not least, the long-time voice of the Cardinals, Jack Buck (1954-2001).  Nothing like a warm July night sitting and listening to Jack Buck's voice on KMOX-STL and another Cards win!
     Memories...I remember (vaguely) my first Cardinal game.  I remember seeing Lou Brock running the bases.  I wished I could be like him--he was very fast.  And I was fast too (as a kid.)  I remember seeing Ozzie Smith in the parking garage after a game I had been to.  We were about 10 yards from him and his family.  The 1982 World Series win against the Brewers.  That was exciting!  Taking my son to his first game (a 1-0 pitching duel win against Roger Clemens).  The World Series win in 2006.  And last night's 11th World Series against a very good Texas Rangers team.  
    And that's why I like the Cardinals.  You never know what to expect, but you know it is probably going to be exciting.  When nobody gave them a chance to even make the playoffs this year, they fought and fought to get in after being 10 1/2 games out of the Wild Card in late August.  Then they beat the best team in baseball this year in the Philidelphia Philies.  They followed that up with their newest and best rival of late, the Milwaukee Brewers(the 2nd best NL team this year).  And in the World Series they battled from behind time after time to win 11 in '11.
     To my STL Cardinals....You have given me much excitement, joy and celebration. Thank you for never giving up this year when things looked impossible!
     And one more thing....Albert Pujols, you won't look good in anything but a Cardinal uniform!  This is your hometown, and they love you.  Stay put El Hombre!  #5 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment