Peace Be With You

Welcome to my blog! My name is Rev. David Lindenberg. I am a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Rapid City, South Dakota. "O Taste and See That the Lord is Good" is from Psalm 34:8, and it describes several of my favorite things, which this blog will be about. Taste: I am a "foodie," and I love to cook, so from time to time there will be some of my favorite recipes, or cooking tips on here. SEE: I love art, drawing, and am currently taking some art instruction, and learning how to paint as well, so there will also be some things about art and painting in my blog. I also love history, which has nothing to do with the title, but it a real interest of mine. But most of all, I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and so most of my blogging will be about matters of faith, and some daily devotional writings. I hope that you enjoy "Tasting and Seeing That the Lord IS Good!" Happy reading!



Friday, July 8, 2011

Priorities

  You've heard the saying, "He's got his priorities all mixed up."  Today's blog is all about that.  What does it mean to have our priorities mixed up?  Isn't it true that one person's priorities will be different than another?  So wouldn't it be judgmental for one person to say that about another?
    When it comes to God, looking at our priorities becomes a simple matter....or at least it should be.  God comes first!  There are no ifs, ands or buts about it, God should be our priority, #1, above all things. 
     That is what our 1st commandment states.  You shall have no other gods.  Period!  But we all know that literally ANYTHING could become a "god" to us.  Take money for example, (and truth be told, it seems to be many people's favorite in the USA); money is something that we desire, covet, devote our lives to getting as much of as we can--and in the process, sacrificing much more important things like time and family, or time with family--one could easily make the claim that we "worship the almighty dollar."  That's not even to get into HOW we use our money.  That's a whole other topic to be sure.
     But this blog post today is not intended to be an indictment of money.  After all, Scripture does NOT claim that money is evil [though many people misquote it that way!]  What Scripture does say, is that the LOVE of money is the root of all kinds of evil.  And that is another blog topic which I will say more about another time.
     I think you can see, with only ONE example, how our priorities can get all messed up.  When we devote so much time, attention, and yes, even love to one thing, and that thing is not God, we have our priorities all out of whack.
     One of my favorite questions to ask when I am preaching a sermon is "I wonder what it would be like if...."  So I will ask that today:  I wonder what it would be like if....we actually made it our mission to put God first in our lives, and dads--to make it of utmost importance to do the same in our families, instilling that sense of importance upon your children--that they may carry it forward in their own lives, and eventually their own families.
     Tomorrow I will expand on this idea.
     Until then, thanks for reading and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment