Peace Be With You

Welcome to my blog! My name is Rev. David Lindenberg. I am a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Rapid City, South Dakota. "O Taste and See That the Lord is Good" is from Psalm 34:8, and it describes several of my favorite things, which this blog will be about. Taste: I am a "foodie," and I love to cook, so from time to time there will be some of my favorite recipes, or cooking tips on here. SEE: I love art, drawing, and am currently taking some art instruction, and learning how to paint as well, so there will also be some things about art and painting in my blog. I also love history, which has nothing to do with the title, but it a real interest of mine. But most of all, I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and so most of my blogging will be about matters of faith, and some daily devotional writings. I hope that you enjoy "Tasting and Seeing That the Lord IS Good!" Happy reading!



Friday, July 22, 2011

On the burial of my friend and colleague Rev. Lowell Boettcher

A Christian is a person who through faith begins to pass out of this life into heaven as soon as he leaves Baptism.  For him Christ is already The Way, The Truth, and The Life and does not cease to be these things til his last hour.  Indeed, a Christian always proceeds on this way, led by the truth, to the goal of eternal life. [Martin Luther]

     Today, I bury a friend and a colleague, Rev. Lowell Boettcher (emeritus).  I have to admit that when I received the call to Peace Lutheran Church in Rapid City, SD I was intimidated--not by the size of the congregation (it was quite a bit larger than my church at that time in rural Iowa); not by the prospect of having to start over in a place I didn't know, among people I didn't know; but by the fact that this church had not one, but two retired pastors.  I was foolish to fear this, as both men have been extremely helpful to me these last three years.  I had to say goodbye to one of them my first year here.  Today, I say goodbye to the other one. 
     Lowell did so many things for so many people that it will be extremely difficult to fill his shoes.  You cannot replace a Lowell Boettcher.  We will miss you Lowell, but those who have faith in Christ Jesus will see you again in the presence of Christ our Savior!  Rest in the peace of Christ my friend!

That time of year thou mayst in me behold
When yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang
Upon those boughs which shake against the cold,
Bare ruin'd choirs, where late the sweet birds sang.
In me thou seest the twilight of such day
As after sunset fadeth in the west,
Which by and by black night doth take away,
Death's second self, that seals up all in rest.
In me thou seest the glowing of such fire
That on the ashes of his youth doth lie,
As the death-bed whereon it must expire,
Consum'd with that which it was nourish'd by.
This thou perceiv'st, which makes thy love more strong,
To love that well, which thou must leave ere long.    
[William Shakespeare-Sonnet 73]


Thanks for reading and God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment