Peace Be With You

Welcome to my blog! My name is Rev. David Lindenberg. I am a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Rapid City, South Dakota. "O Taste and See That the Lord is Good" is from Psalm 34:8, and it describes several of my favorite things, which this blog will be about. Taste: I am a "foodie," and I love to cook, so from time to time there will be some of my favorite recipes, or cooking tips on here. SEE: I love art, drawing, and am currently taking some art instruction, and learning how to paint as well, so there will also be some things about art and painting in my blog. I also love history, which has nothing to do with the title, but it a real interest of mine. But most of all, I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and so most of my blogging will be about matters of faith, and some daily devotional writings. I hope that you enjoy "Tasting and Seeing That the Lord IS Good!" Happy reading!



Monday, June 13, 2011

A Few Thoughts On Marriage

In light of officiating my first wedding of the season, I thought I would reflect on a few things about marriage.
When I do pre-marital counseling, I usually start off by saying marriage is work.  I do this just to see the reactions of the couple, so that I know how I am going to proceed.  Besides,  marriage IS work, but if the work is done right (out of love for your spouse) and consistently, marriage is very rewarding, and a blessing to both persons.
    Then the Lord God said, "It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him." Genesis 2:18
     What a blessing!  God does not want that we should be alone.  And furthermore, a spouse is to be a help-mate.  I have seen the manifestation of that term over the years, often in some of the most extreme and difficult circumstances.  Truly marriage can be a real blessing, as God intended.
         Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. [23] For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. [24] Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.
    [25] Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, [26] that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, [27] so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. [28] In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. [29] For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, [30] because we are members of his body. [31] "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." [32] This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. [33] However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband
. Ephes. 5:22-33
     This is a difficult passage from Paul, and yet it shouldn't be if we merely understand that Paul is making a comparison to Christ and His "Bride"-the Church.  Husbands and wives should love and repect and honor thier spouse, just as Christ Jesus loves His Church. This passage is often misunderstood and sometimes despised because of it.  But a pastor could do much good by taking the time to explain what Paul is saying.  Of course what I have written here about this text is just a start, there is much more to say.  Perhaps I will break it down some more tomorrow!
Thanks for reading and may God bless marriage, and you!
   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment