Peace Be With You

Welcome to my blog! My name is Rev. David Lindenberg. I am a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Rapid City, South Dakota. "O Taste and See That the Lord is Good" is from Psalm 34:8, and it describes several of my favorite things, which this blog will be about. Taste: I am a "foodie," and I love to cook, so from time to time there will be some of my favorite recipes, or cooking tips on here. SEE: I love art, drawing, and am currently taking some art instruction, and learning how to paint as well, so there will also be some things about art and painting in my blog. I also love history, which has nothing to do with the title, but it a real interest of mine. But most of all, I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and so most of my blogging will be about matters of faith, and some daily devotional writings. I hope that you enjoy "Tasting and Seeing That the Lord IS Good!" Happy reading!



Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A few thoughts on fasting.

     I chose this topic to write on today, because last night at 8pm I had to fast until 8am this morning for lab work I had to get done.  If I am being perfectly honest I did a whole lot of complaining about it too!  First I complained that the elders meeting went too long (past the 8pm deadline for my fast to begin).  Then I complained because everyone in my house was snacking last night.  Then I kept looking at the "slow-moving" clock and kept saying, "I'm never going to make it to 8am"  As it turned out, there was a long line at the lab with other "fasting" people there, all of us looking equally grumpy.  So because of the traffic jam in the lab, it was more like 8:30, and I complained (in my head) about that. 
     I guess the bottom line is, I like food!  And I certainly do not like being deprived of it.  I detest those 6 month lab work days because of the fasting.  But all of my complaining got me to thinking about why would anyone fast on purpose?  What benefits could there be to it?  I know it is Biblical, but from a purely human standpoint I don't get it.  Luther's small catechism even states-"Fasting and bodily preparation are certainly fine outward training....fasting can be good training for the will, but God does not COMMAND particular times, places, and forms for this."  So according to our Small Catechism, there is no command from God to fast.  That settles it for me!  And yet I am still curious what the benefit of doing so might be.
Isaiah 58:3-4     [They say]'Why have we fasted, and you see it not?
        Why have we humbled ourselves, and you take no knowledge of it?'
    Behold, in the day of your fast you seek your own pleasure,
        and oppress all your workers.
    [4] Behold, you fast only to quarrel and to fight
        and to hit with a wicked fist.
    Fasting like yours this day
        will not make your voice to be heard on high
.

God sent Isaiah to call God's people to repentance, and in these verses to help them understand the
true character of fasting as an expression of sorrow for sin and an opportunity to have mercy on the hungry.
In the sermon on the Mount, Jesus had this to say regarding fasting:  Matthew 6:16-18     "And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. [17] But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, [18] that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you...."
    So I guess there can be some great benefits to fasting, when one does it spiritually in connection with repentance, or to give us thought and lead us to prayer for brothers and sisters around the world who are suffering from hunger, that we may also have compassion on them.
   Of course I realize the reason I was fasting last night was much different than these reasons for fasting, but I think my attitude toward fasting could use much improvement, and next time I will spend it in prayer and contemplation instead of whining and complaining!
What are your own thoughts about fasting?
Thanks for reading! Blessings to you from God our Father, and let's be thankful for the food we do have!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment