Peace Be With You

Welcome to my blog! My name is Rev. David Lindenberg. I am a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Rapid City, South Dakota. "O Taste and See That the Lord is Good" is from Psalm 34:8, and it describes several of my favorite things, which this blog will be about. Taste: I am a "foodie," and I love to cook, so from time to time there will be some of my favorite recipes, or cooking tips on here. SEE: I love art, drawing, and am currently taking some art instruction, and learning how to paint as well, so there will also be some things about art and painting in my blog. I also love history, which has nothing to do with the title, but it a real interest of mine. But most of all, I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and so most of my blogging will be about matters of faith, and some daily devotional writings. I hope that you enjoy "Tasting and Seeing That the Lord IS Good!" Happy reading!



Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Destruction and community

I know it has been a very long time since I posted anything.  Such is the life of a pastor sometimes.  But I was very moved by the events in Oklahoma and other areas this week with the massive outbreak of tornadoes in what we sometimes perhaps callously refer to as "Tornado Alley."  Coming from Missouri, I have seen the destruction that these "twisters" can bring to a town, city, or multiple areas.  I have even been in places where tornadoes have touched down somewhere in the city I was living in or visiting at the time.  I have seen what is left after it hits.  I have witnessed where it destroyed a building on one side of a street and left another untouched on the other side.  But most of all, I have seen what it does to families and also to communities.  That is the reason for my blogging this morning.

It was not that long ago, in two separate times and incidences, that two very destructive tornadoes hit my home state of Missouri.  One in Bridgeton, Mo (just across the river from where my family lives) and a more recent one in Joplin, Mo that you may remember hearing about.  (I nearly went to college in Joplin, Mo)

In both cases it was very sad to see the destruction that happened in those towns and how the people were affected by the loss that occurs on such an enormous scale.  It wrenches one's heart to see the devastation something like a storm can bring in such a very short amount of time.  Even with the greater amount of time the National Weather Service (shout out to my brother Steve here!) gives to people with severe weather alerts and warnings, these massive storms come and go very quickly, and before we know it the damage is done.  Without the warnings issued, I suppose the devastation and loss (of life) would be even worse than it already is.

But something else seems to happen when devastation of this sort occurs in the lives of entire communities.  We see a warmer side of human beings actually being the "community" that we are supposed to be.  We have witnessed this a great deal in the last decade especially, with Hurricanes in the Gulf and upper Atlantic states; tornadoes all over the mid-western states and the south; and other "natural disasters" as we call them. But my heart is filled with joy to see people coming together to help others they may or may not know, in the midst of so much loss and hurting.  Even if it is just to embrace one another for comfort, or to pray with or for others so that they know that other people care a great deal for them, or to help them clean up and salvage whatever they can find that survived such a disaster.

Especially where lives are lost due to these tragic events, it is important that we have compassion for our neighbor (here neighbor is defined in the Biblical manner of "anyone other than ourselves").  And compassion means DO-ING something for them or with them to help them in time of need.  It mean SHOW-ING mercy to others when they need mercy.  Compassion necessarily means there is action taken.  It is not merely feeling sorry for someone else and their bad situation.

I would ask everyone who might read this blog, to take up action and have compassion for those who have been affected by these recent massive and devastating storms, and at least join me in praying for the victims of this tragedy.  Pray for mercy, healing, and comfort for those who have lost property, been injured, or have  lost a loved one.  And also for the community as a whole, to work together in rebuilding lives with the help of God, who desires us to have community.
May the Lord of all bless and keep you in His grace and grant you His peace!
Thanks for reading and God bless you all!
DAVE

No comments:

Post a Comment