Peace Be With You

Welcome to my blog! My name is Rev. David Lindenberg. I am a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Rapid City, South Dakota. "O Taste and See That the Lord is Good" is from Psalm 34:8, and it describes several of my favorite things, which this blog will be about. Taste: I am a "foodie," and I love to cook, so from time to time there will be some of my favorite recipes, or cooking tips on here. SEE: I love art, drawing, and am currently taking some art instruction, and learning how to paint as well, so there will also be some things about art and painting in my blog. I also love history, which has nothing to do with the title, but it a real interest of mine. But most of all, I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and so most of my blogging will be about matters of faith, and some daily devotional writings. I hope that you enjoy "Tasting and Seeing That the Lord IS Good!" Happy reading!



Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A few words about Bullying

     Dear friends, it grieves my heart to even be writing this post today.  It seems that we cannot get rid of that neanderthal-like, thuggish urge that some have to bully others.  Bullying has become such a bad problem these days that it is even being done through our newly developed technologies.  We are talking more than just being made fun of, because I think that everyone expereinces that in life.  And to a certain extent, we better be able to laugh at ourselves a little bit.  No, I am talking about the constant badgering, relentless making fun of, saying and doing pure meanness to others. 
     I am writing this from personal experience, as well as in support of anyone who has ever been bullied.  For me it was because I had acne as an adolescent, and from the age of 12, far too many others picked on me on a daily basis.  As an already shy kid, it was difficult to respond, and so these kids kept doing it, because I would do/say nothing.  To those who did, I forgive you for your actions/words that were so hurtful.  But just because I forgive you does not make such behavior right or acceptable.
      I would also say that this behavior needs to stop, and for many reasons.  You may not be aware of just how bad you are hurting someone, even with just words.  They might begin to believe what you are saying about them, especially in thier own weakness.  You may not be aware of what they might be capable of if you keep pushing them. 
Bullying has become a real problem in our society, and it is not just happening in Jr. High and High Schools.  It happens in adulthood as well.  We can't just look the other way and pretend like it is not a real problem.
     I challenge everyone to stand up to those who would bully others, and challenge thier behavior instead of pretending that it did not happen.  If we don't stand up to it, that is the same as condoning it.
     I have never understood the mind of a bully, because it makes no sense to me to treat someone so callously and without love for our neighbor.  I suppose there may be something insecure in the person who would bully, that makes them feel superior or "stronger" themselves, when they treat others poorly, or as "lesser" than themselves.
     If you see or hear bullying of another, try to stop it.  If you are a bully, take a few seconds to think about how much you might be hurting someone else, and STOP yourself.  Think for a moment about how it would make you feel if  people were ganging up on you relentlessly.
Let's all work together to STOP bullying from hurting others!
     Thanks for reading and God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment